Monday, October 22, 2018

Education 101



Robert Fulghum wrote a book some time ago called All I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten. There is probably a great deal of truth in that, but I have come to the conclusion that ninety percent of my “real life" education, I got while standing in line.

Did you ever notice that when you are standing in line you are pretty much invisible? People talk around you or over you with not care in the world that you might overhear the intimate details of their lives. Now I know there are those of you who would join right in the conversation. But I am not one of you. I just listen . . . and continue to expand my education.

JoAnn’s Craft Store or Walmart are my favorite places to stand in line. NOT! But it does provide a venue for me to extend my education while there. Sometimes there are 20 people in front of me, all of whom have an opinion about something. I really have attempted to join the conversation (on very rare occasions) but am often looked at like I have three eyes and floppy ears. So I just listen. I peruse the candy and analyze the gizmos on the shelf as I wait. Do you know how many kinds of chocolate they have there? Umpteen. And how many $19.95 gizmos that don’t work, or zillions of flavors of body lotions and candles. Granted you don’t learn a lot from labels, but every little bit helps.

Have you ever watched people shop while in line? They read the magazines, handle all the goodies in the aisle, even smell things. Oh ya, I am guilty. What else do you do there? Shuffle your feet, push the person in front of you a littler closer to the check stand, or you can check out the merchandise that was put there to tempt you. Did you notice that they never have fresh veggies or fruit lining the aisles.
What they do have in abundance are “gossip” magazines. I would never stoop so low as to actually buy one, but I can flip pages to my hearts content while in line. You don’t have to actually “read” them, you just look at the pictures of all the “beautiful people” with problems. Is that suppose to make those of us without fame and fortune feel better? Kinda. Maybe?

Life in “the line” is also a fashion statement to the extreme. Since when did people go to the store in their pajamas, or wear their underwear on the outside of their clothing, or let every ounce of your well fed bodies hang out for all to see. I know more about your anatomy than you do. And some of it ain’t so pretty. Sometimes I am overwhelmed with the urge to yank down those pants that are already half way to your knees. But I am sure it would be for naught. For while standing in line at the deli one day, one such young man took his pants off and readjusted everything and put them back on. Way too much information!

And I would love to tell you how much my vocabulary has expanded . . . NOT! I do know a lot of words that I would never use in public or anywhere else. Why do people think that vulgar language makes them . . . I don’t know, smart, hip, cool? It certainly doesn’t make them look intelligent. It does make them appear trashy, uneducated, and most certainly unemployable. I would never hire someone who found it necessary to express themselves with four letter words! Do you realize how you sound?

But my biggest issue is how you treat your children. I can tell what kind of person you are by how you treat your children and animals. My heart aches when I hear you yell and debase your little ones for just being children. Now those that are having tantrums, they need an education, but those who are just being kids don’t deserve to be told to shut up, threatened with who knows what, or told they are dummies. You are very scary sometimes. And my heart bleeds for the damage you are doing to the next generation.

I could share information concerning your diets, personal problems, medical misadventures, intimate issues, and a boat load of other stuff. Beware of us quiet ones, we might appear to be invisible, but we are listening. I have probably taken eavesdropping to a fine art. And I often wish I hadn’t.

Just writin' on the River Road


No comments:

Post a Comment