Monday, December 3, 2018

Holiday Time

I used to love the holidays.  That was before. . . before I became a business owner and learned about marketing.  I was so hard on retail outlets who began putting up Christmas decorations in September.  I am now beginning to understand their rational.  So by the time Christmas actually rolls around, I am so tired of Christmas that I could care less about shopping, or decorating,  or much else "holiday-ish".

It is interesting how our priorities change over time.  I have become my mother!  I used to get on her case because she didn't put up a tree.  Now I think I get it.  It isn't putting up all the stuff that is a problem, it is taking it all down and putting it away.  And she never wanted any gifts.  I get that now too.  There isn't anything I need at this point in life.  Right now I should be radically downsizing!   And I don't think I am the only one.

I saw a blip on Facebook recently that said something to the effect that once the grandparents pass away, the family dynamic for holiday celebrations change.  I can see that happening within our family. My in-laws had specific traditions that came from the "old country" which made up their Christmas celebration.  Now that Grandma and Grandpa are gone, the traditions are changing because the grand and great grand children don't have that memory to draw them back.  Christmas Eve has moved to Christmas morning.  Traditional foods have changed to things that the younger generation likes, even the gift exchange has changed.  We now do "white elephant gifts" and "ugly sweater
Making memories.  A sleigh ride in the mountains.
contests".  Gone is the traditional reading of the Christmas Story, the Christmas Eve church services, and so on.  It feels sad sometimes, but life plows on even if I drag my feet.  Real trees have been exchanged for fake, Santa has replaced Jesus.  We now have light parades rather than cruising the streets to view the lights.  Not everything "new" is bad, but hopefully we can retain some of the old traditions too.

So what can we do?  First, I don't think we need to adopt every new fad that comes out.  I don't need a pink tree to match my décor.  Or an outlandish gift for everyone.  Secondly, I think we can let go of a few things but still retain the meaning of the holiday.  As the "older" generation, we should set a standard of what is important and what is not.  The relationships, the memories, the joy are important.  The amount of gifts or money spent is not!  I love to make memories.  We need more of those special times that we share, laugh, tease, and are just silly!

So as you enter this season, this holiday time, remember what is important.  Build relationships, establish traditions, enjoy your friends and family, laugh, and remember who is the center of the holiday.  Christ.  Without his birth, we would celebrate nothing.  Remember.

Just writin' on the River Road

No comments:

Post a Comment