Saturday, March 7, 2020

Just a little insecure?


So after my last foray into the world of political news, I am going to address my insecurities . . . and yours.  Why is it that we can be so opinionated about some things, and vociferous in voicing them, but be so insecure about other things?  Or maybe we are insecure about the things that we loudly tout too?

I attended a Sunday School class this week.  I LOVED it!  There were differences of opinion, lots of animated discussion, and nobody left with their hackles up.  We can still respect and love one another and disagree.  What a wonderful concept!  How interesting the world would be if we did that all the time.  We would all be more secure with who we are as individuals.


Image result for free sign language for loveI believe that most of our deep angst comes from our insecurities.  Those of you who follow this blog know that I love to write.  And what I love causes me the greatest insecurity.  I admit to being the Face Book spelling, grammar and punctuation police.  Not that I get it right all the time either, but nothing bugs me more than seeing books, newspapers, magazines or web sites with errors.  To me, there is something nearly holy about the written word.

Perhaps my love of writing comes from a love of reading. I read all sorts of material.  I am reading a book right now that fills me with awe of the author's ability not only to create a story, but to set the scene.  I can "see" what is going on, I can "see" the characters, I can "see" the settings.  I want to be this author!!!  I will never be able to express myself as she does, because I don't have her gift.  But I want to.  Thus the insecurity.

I have discovered that writing is like a fingerprint.  Each author is unique in their own way.  My way of expressing myself is not the same as any other writer in the world.  It may be close, and I may be able to learn new techniques, or how to add layers to my expression, but ultimately it will be mine and it won't sound like anyone else's words.  Why would I want it to sound like someone else?  Because in my mind, they are better, more polished, have more interesting ideas, and are creative in unique ways.  I love to read mysteries.  But it is not my gift to write them.  My brain is not wired that way.  Everything I write sounds like "me".....as it should.

To really bolster my insecurities, I decided to join the Idaho Writers Guild.  Hummm?  Will my fragile ego be able to take criticism?  Do I even have the courage to share my work?  It is easy to feel like a big fish in a small pond when you never venture beyond your comfort zone.   But one of the attributes of a small pond is that it can get stagnant without the influx of fresh water. I am about to get VERY wet.  Maybe?  It all depends on how brave I am.

So what is your insecurity?  Is it what others (might) think of you?  Is it your lack of ability?  In working at the Calico Cupboard, I saw all sorts of talented people that brought us items they had created.  I venture to say that probably 90 percent of them didn't think their work was "worth" much.  God has created us to be creative people, not all the same, but all creative in one way or another. I find that astounding! If we all painted, the world would be full of paintings but we would have no sculptures, or wood works, or quilts.  The list of creative ventures is endless.  You may make cheese, or soap, or can and pickle vegetables, or grow a garden, maybe you can build a building or weld.  Perhaps you farm or ranch, or operate a business, maybe you organize or plan, or maybe you are a teacher or a guide . . . there is no way to list all of the venues that can be pursued.  Don't be insecure about what you do. Be proud of what you have accomplished and push on to learn more, do more, become more.  Don't let your gift become stagnant, or disappear altogether.  You have something to add, we all do.

So let your insecurities go, let them fall away.  For the truth be told, we all spend excessive time thinking about what others think of us, when they actually don't think of us at all.  We tend to be so concentrated on ourselves that we loose sight of the bigger picture.  The bigger picture includes everything . . . the good, the bad, the successes, the failures, the learning experiences, the joy and the fun.  Get out there!  Pack up those insecurities in your old kit bag and send them down the road.  Express yourself, lead by example, step up to the plate, give it a try . . . for the most part, others won't care, they won't even notice if we succeed or fail.  There is really nothing to loose.

Just Writin' on the River Road





1 comment: