Tuesday, December 22, 2020

 

Dear Little Bit has grown up and left home. I am sure my friend doesn’t know he has moved to my house. I love having him . . . for the most part. He indulges in his breakfast every morning as I sit at my desk and chat with many of you. Ever vigilant, he perches atop the bench in the back yard, surveying his little kingdom. No cats in sight. He dips into the pan of sunflower seeds and peanuts quickly. Little does he know that the cats are eyeballing him from the window and are too lazy to go out and bother him.

Posing atop the park bench with his fluffy tail curled into a perfect “s” shape, he is the epitome of every squirrel everywhere. His red fur with its golden tips is shiny and perfectly coiffed. He is a postcard portrait. He moves in increments almost like a mechanical pet. His little tail snaps and fluffs as he surveys his world. And then he is off and running, climbing a tree with lightening speed. He stops midway and chatters at whatever it was that startled him. His tail waving and snapping as if to warn all squirrel-dom of danger.

Little Bit and I had an encounter earlier this fall. One that was rather personal for me. I had a lovely rope hammock swing hanging from the tree. “Had” being the key word. I could lazily swing in the warm breezes, enjoy the sound of the creek and watch the ducks swim or nap in the water. Then one day I saw a squirrel caught in the netting. I ran to rescue it, but he had managed to escape by the time I got there. It was then I noticed a hole the size of Rhode Island in my swing! It seems frayed rope must make ideal lining for a nest. I was a little torqued for a while and tried to encouraged the cats to conduct massive squirrel hunts. Not that they listen, much less obey! But it was hard to stay angry with the little critter for long, after all he is the embodiment of all cuteness!

I have forgiven Little Bit for his bad choice of nesting material and will make his life somewhat easier this winter by providing snacks. His little home, no matter how well insulated, does not have central heating. And, in this time with little to nothing to occupy my time, he is the cream in my coffee every morning. We must remember to find joy in all things. Even if it is just a little bit.


P.S. This little vignette was written for my friend Sherry, who is the creator of Little Bit. She has written a book, Little Bit in the Great Wide Forest, for children. Each short story is a morality play to teach children how to act and react when life gets confusing and difficult. These are great bed time stories that evoke discussion of the problems they face daily. If you would like to share this book with your children or grandchildren, please check out Little Bit in the Great Wide Forest by Sherry Vycital York at Amazon. It would make a great Christmas present!

No comments:

Post a Comment