Friday, December 18, 2020

Merry Christmas from the River Road

 

I am finished decorating for the holidays! I don’t remember it being this much work! I had an dozen huge boxes of decorations in the living room that I had to empty. As I hung up things in new spots, I also put a number of things into a carton that would eventually go to the thrift store. Now, in this house, I have much less space so a number of things had to go away.

We moved in to this house last year on Christmas Eve. It looked so dark and bare and lonely compared to the rest of the homes on the street. This year is much different. I bought a new tree and it sits proudly in the living room window for all to enjoy. Unfortunately the rest of the indoor decorations will go unappreciated by friends and family in this year of Covid-19. Deciding there would be no lights strung from the roof (ladders and age don’t mix well), we covered our bushes with lights, decorated the lamp post in the front yard and put up a huge sign saying “Holiday Greetings”.

Have you ever wondered why we go to all this effort to decorate our homes for Christmas? Does it have meaning? Is it just pretty? Yes and yes. I have ceased putting up Santa Claus décor. There is a handful of small items, but they stay because of the memories attached to them. I like greenery and candles, not that I ever light them. I enjoy the tree, it offers a soft, glowing warmth to the room. In previous years, it was decorated with pictures of the children, things that they made, gifts from friends . . . it was kind of an eccentric mess. But it was full of love and cherished memories. I have since passed on those decorations to the kids . . . who knows what they did with those interestingly crafted tidbits. Now I can have a tree with a “theme”. Not that I ever do, but it is fun to think that I can have one if I want.

Among the things I treasure and put up every year are my nativity scenes. One was a gift from the kids many, many years ago, small, plain white ceramic figures that depict the story of Christ’s birth. Some have gotten broken over the years and carefully glued back together, a little like the lives that we now offer on the altar of our faith. We are all chipped, cracked, damaged, scarred or broken in some manner. But God, in His infinite wisdom was the inventor of super glue. He can repair, fix, refine and even remodel all of those defects to create a finely crafted piece that reflects His Glory. I, for one, am ever so grateful that He has not tossed me out as too broken to celebrate the birth of his Son. In His eyes, I am perfect in every way. I am loved, forgiven, healed, sanctified and glorified! And ever so thankful!

What sort of decorations can I put up that could depict all that I have received from God? There is nothing, really. I can put up creches, or crosses, or candles and lights . . . but they are all just things. What He deserves and wants is my willingness to listen, to obey, to witness and share my faith with a lost and hurting world. How do I do that? I can’t (well, won’t) stand on the street corner and preach. I am not a missionary, or even a very good witness of all He has done for me. What I can offer are the gifts He has blessed me with over the years. I can be generous with my words and encouragement. I can forgive the undeserving and love the unlovely. Faith comes gift wrapped as a helping hand, a pot of soup, a note of appreciation, a telephone call or a visit. This Christmas, I pray that my God-given gifts be generously distributed among all of you. Next year we may celebrate with parties and dinners, but this year accept my gift of faith in that innocent child that was sent to save us all.

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Just Writin’ on the River Road

2 comments:

  1. This year I cut back on what I put on the tree. First ones on were the ones my kids made years ago followed by the newest collection of ones made by 6 grandchildren. Then I tucked in a few favorites.

    ReplyDelete